Monday, January 10, 2011

My Education

Alright ladies, I need some help. As part of my personal education and trying to learn how to be a mentor for my children, I have read the Declaration of Independence and now I need someone or several someones to share my thoughts with. The concept is that I read it several times and then jotted down ten ideas that were interesting to me. I would love feedback on any or all of my points and it would probably be best to review the Declaration before reading my thoughts. Please be honest and forgive me if the writing seems elementary, it felt odd doing this, like a school assignment, but I know that I need to learn how to read something and glean from it important topics, while also being capable of discussing those topics intelligently.

*Paragraph 1* Although there are people in our world today who would disagree, back in 1776, it was an unquestioned concept that God was the creator of our world. By those standards, every person on the earth have the same rights pertaining to how they should be treated as well as a limit as to what they must be called on to silently endure. I think we have come a great distance in understanding individual rights, but in the process we have moved away from acknowledging the source of those rights.

*Paragraph 2* The men involved in the Continental Congress were well aware of the extremity of what they were doing and acknowledged that a revolution should not be entered into lightly or for silly reasons. These men had truly spend years trying to work with their government before the realized that it wasn't getting them what they needed. I think they included this so that their successors would understand that this country was not meant to be one of constant change and revolution.

*Paragraph 2* As anyone in any respectable field must know you will never win an argument with intelligent or powerful people without a firm foundation for your arguments. A large portion of the Declaration is a list of the colonists grievances with Britain. The colonist knew that they would need help in order to break free from England and they were well aware that without a strong case of legitimate complaints, they would not be treated with any seriousness.

*Paragraph 10* I have only recently learned the importance (thru reading a children's history book) of the judiciary system. Without the enforcement of the law most societies will crumble. The denial of a functioning judicial system is a dangerous action to take and certainly indicates a lack of concern for the society affected by such a denial.

*Paragraph 14* A military with a greater power than the local authorities will breed contempt and crime. Causing the creation of that kind of environment diminishes the feeling of a safe and secure society. I wonder if the King of England understood the kind of effects his decisions were having on the colonists. Partly I would say yes he did, that's why he made those calls, but on the other hand, what if he was just blinded by distance and lack of information?

*Paragraph 25* When unable to bring the colonists under swift control, Britain's responded with open declarations of war. On the one hand that seems harsh and unkind. On the other hand, Britain had to do something in an effort to stand up for themselves in order to prevent domestic unrest and resentment. If they had just given in to the demands of the colonists they would have appeared weak and that could have sparked wars on their home front.

*Paragraph 31* The biggest reason these colonies were founded was for freedom. People wanted to live in a place with opportunity and a chance to make their own way without so much persecution.

*Paragraph 31* Each country must make their own definitions of other countries, friend or foe. We had a right in declaring ourselves an independent country to say we will be friends and enemies with whom we choose.

*Paragraph 32* The writer and signers of the Declaration knew that by signing this document, they were committing a crime against the country they considered as their own. They felt enough guilt over their actions to as for forgiveness from God. I can only imagine the internal torture that some of these men no doubt put themselves through wondering if this was the right thing to do and then even knowing it was right, worrying about what could happen if they lost.

*Paragraph 32* This was not just a political choice for those men. They knew and accepted the fact that they were pledging not only everything they had, but also their very lives if needed. Clearly, this was the most important decision in their lives.

2 comments:

  1. How fun! Maybe what I was looking for in starting this blog was a self-imposed school assignment. In a way I really think I was. I've been so inspired by your own blog and the efforts you have made to be thoughtful. I read the Declaration and was surprised at how little I recalled from my first round of education. I hope I've been more thoughtful this time around.

    On paragraph #1: I like your thought about the secularization of America. It's a topic often brought up today and this seems a very tangible example of the difference that has entered the collective mind in this nation's short history. I would further ask myself why or why not does this matter? How do we define the line between what is acceptable to dismiss as quaint and old-fashioned and what is a tragic progression toward a corrupt society? Was it their own ideas of what constituted moral corruption that led the founding fathers to draft this declaration in the first place, and would we agree with them today?

    I'll write more tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's on my list to read & respond to this Karen...

    I love the assignment to study. I would be so much more willing to make time in my life for a "study" group. I love book groups as a chance to chat and get good book ideas, but I'd love a group that would really stretch my brain :). The only problem with the online forum is that I have a hard time MAKING time to study and respond.

    ReplyDelete